Youth Ambassadors for SW Cultures Internship – Spring 2020

Youth Ambassadors for SW Cultures Internship – Spring 2020

Click HERE to apply

Project Description: Over the course of 4 months interns will participate in a holistic, bioregional, cultural experience rooted in ecology throughout Southeastern Arizona. Interns will meet experts and document the stories of the diverse communities living along the Santa Cruz river between Nogales and Tucson, AZ. Interns will explore natural environments and human cultures in order to develop interactive presentations for the Juan Bautista De Anza National Historic Trail which will be used to directly serve public schools in Southeastern Arizona.

Adventure and Learning: Interns earn $150 working with National Park Service rangers and Ironwood Tree Experience staff to develop strong interpretive presentation skills and an in-depth understanding of the natural and cultural history of the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail. Interns are required to attend all after-school sessions, weekend field trips, and a 5-day spring break camping expedition to Ft Bowie, Chiricahua, Coronado, and Tumacacori National Parks and Monuments.

Internship Dates: January 2020 – April 2020 (4 months), includes Spring Break (March 16th-20th)

Application Due Date: January 4th, 2020. 12 spaces available

YASWC Spring 2020 Flyer

YASWC Spring 2020 Schedule Overview

MonthDate ACTIVITYActivity Locations
JanuarySat 1/11/20 8AM-3PMOrientation @ ITE and Beyond EventBegin: ITE End: ITE
Sat 1/18/20 9AM-4PMExplore the Santa Cruz River and Juan Bautista de Anza Tr.Begin: ITE End: ITE
Sat 1/25-26/20 Start 9AM - End 4PMCamping Excursion @ Santa Ritas (SRER) Begin: ITE End: ITE
February Sat 2/8/20 9AM-4PMInterpretive Stories Training Intro to Asset MappingBegin: ITE End: ITE
Sat 2/15/20 9AM-4PMDeveloping Interpretive Stories: Mission GardenBegin: ITE End: ITE
Wed 2/26/20 4PM-6:30PMMid Program EvaluationBegin: ITE End: ITE
March Sat 3/7/20 9AM-4PMGear Up and Get ReadyBegin: ITE End: ITE
Sat - Wed 3/16-20/20 8AM Sun-3PM Spring Break ExpeditionBegin: ITE End: ITE
AprilSat 4/4/20 8AM-3PMPractice Interpretive StoriesBegin: ITE End: ITE
Sat 4/18/20 9AM-2PMPrep Final DeliverablesBegin: ITE End: ITE
Wed 4/22/20 4PM-6:30PMPrep Final DeliverablesBegin: ITE End: ITE
Sat 4/25/19 8AM-5PMEarth day Presentations and CelebrationBegin: TBD

Youth Ambassadors for Southwest Cultures - Interns

YASWC – Carlos

Carlos Raygoza - Desert View High School, Senior

YASWC – Carlos

I am Carlos Raygoza. I am 18 years old and have an interest in nature and ecology. Some of my hobbies include exploring the wilderness and hiking which go hand and hand with Arizona’s diverse ecosystems and landscapes. I hope to learn and experience some of the more unique ecosystems Southern Arizona has to offer.

YASWC – Clarissa

Clarissa Savel - University High School, Senior

YASWC – Clarissa

My name is Clarissa Savel, I am a senior at University High School and native to Tucson, Arizona. You can catch me trail running in the Tucson Mountains, biking down the Santa Cruz River, or doing ecstatic dance. Spending so much time in the desert has not only enriched my life with its beautiful sunsets but it has taught me gratitude and appreciation for nature. The unworldly excitement felt when dancing in the monsoon rain, knowing that the cacti are sharing in celebration, has made me grateful for nature’s ability to provide for its inhabitants. Running through the desert washes and coming face to face with wildlife has made me foster an appreciation for desert animals. The outdoors have benefited me in all the activities it has to offer but more importantly built a network of people who make Tucson my home.

YASWC – Eli

Eli Garcia - Nosotros Academy, Sophomore

YASWC – Eli

My name is Eli and my interests are nature and science. Some of my hobbies include playing the guitar and exploring nature. This connects to Arizona because it has a lot of nature to explore.

YASWC – Jazzy

Jazleen De La Vara - Tucson High School, Freshman

YASWC – Jazzy

I’m Jazleen De La Vara, and I’m currently a freshman at Tucson High School. Having lived in Tucson all my life, I have been fascinated by the information I learn every day. A few of my hobbies are art, music, and any outdoor activity. Downtown Tucson’s art particularly interests me in the different styles and story of art that tells the story of our city in a way other than books and plaques. In addition to art, I also enjoy the outdoors, and because of Arizona’s climate, I have the opportunity to view different ecosystems in different seasons. Being an avid animal lover, I also enjoy herping and learning about Arizona’s vast variety of reptiles, bugs, and mammals.

YASWC – Juan Manuel

Juan Manuel Fierros - Pueblo High School, Sophomore

YASWC – Juan Manuel

Hi, my name is Juan Manuel Fierros. My favorite thing to do is write, and it is connected to my homeland because the current environment that I live in affects the way I write.

YASWC – Julia

Julia Ortiz - City High School, Freshman

YASWC – Julia

My name is Julia Ortiz, and I like being outdoors. I like being out with nature and learning more about my surroundings and the place I live in. Arizona is a great place to live in because it’s the desert, and it’s filled with all sorts of animals and many different places to visit and explore.

YASWC – Kallie

Kallie Boring - Sahuarita High School, Junior

YASWC – Kallie

Hey! I’m Kallie Boring, age 17, from Sahuarita, Arizona. I love hiking, especially since Madera Canyon is only 20 minutes away, it’s so easy to get to and incredibly gorgeous up there. Biology and ecology are my passions that I not only hope to pursue someday but also am pursuing now through my work with my wonderful science teacher of three years and this past year with ITE. Learning for me is something I never hope ceases. I am a major drama geek, as I find that performing brings my community together and helps tell a story. Leadership has also played a vital role in my life through learning the importance of love for the community. These experiences I have shared make up who I am now and who I strive to be each day as I engage with my community; the people, plants, and animals who all make Sahuarita a special place to be.

YASWC – Mimi

Simona Breault-Evans - Tucson High School, Freshman

YASWC – Mimi

I am Mimi Breault-Evans, I am a 14 year old at Tucson High School. My interests include psychology, STEM, coding, reading, and exploring the outdoors. Arizona’s Sonoran Desert provides many opportunities to learn and explore natural sciences.