Youth Action Corps 2021

Youth Action Corps 2021

If you are interested in getting involved with YAC, please fill out this application!

Madeline, David, & Isolde ponder a horned lizard

The Youth Action Corps (YAC) is a creative youth leadership program for high school and early college-aged youth. YAC members work together to support Ironwood Tree Experience by providing youth voice and leadership for programs and events.

YAC teens embrace their love of nature, people, and community by engaging in activities, initiatives, internships, and programs through Conservation & Restoration, Environmental Education, and Sustainable Community Development!

Organ Pipe Cactus NM

Any youth who has participated in previous ITE programs is automatically a YAC member. All YAC members are encouraged to participate in fun monthly YAC workshops, where young people meet friends, share stories, and become part of committees that are making a difference in the community.

To keep our youth and staff members safe, and to keep as many young people engaged as possible, ITE will continue with the format of the WorldWildWeb – a remote, place-based exploration of who and where we are. The WorldWildWeb engages youth online, using tools like Zoom and Trello, but also provides the guidance, instruction, and expertise of ITE staff and community partners to encourage participants to get outside and explore on their own.

When possible, ITE will hold in-person events, following Covid-19 safety protocol and guidelines, wearing masks, and staying socially distant with small groups of youth.

Do you have questions about joining YAC? Email Eric Dhruv, Program Director, at eric@ironwoodtreeexperience.org

2021 YAC Advisory Committee:

The purpose of the YAC Advisory Committee is to provide leadership opportunities for active YAC members and ensure that youth voice is present in shaping Ironwood Tree Experience’s YAC initiatives. YAC Advisory Committee Members work together and directly with the Engagement Manager to take on leadership roles in YAC events, represent ITE, and provide perspective to plan YAC workshops/events.

Meet the YAC Advisory Committee for Fall 2020!

Julia Ortiz

Miguel Ceballos

Youth Action Corp Members

YAC – Gianna

Gianna Alvarenga

YAC – Gianna
Madison

Madison Birchard

Madison

My name is Madison Birchard. I was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona, my home. I feel a strong sense of pride in our community and I’m honored to be a Tucson native. With the warm summer air and cicadas buzzing, I am never more at peace. I love anything outdoors, especially hiking around sunset where I can take in all of the beautiful colors that Arizona’s sky has to offer. Riding my unicycle around my neighborhood gives me a chance to take a break from my busy life and truly reflect and find myself. I strongly enjoy playing golf with my father. I love spreading happiness to all of my classmates.

I am apart of YAC and ITE because I love nature and being involved with my community. Getting a chance to make a change is too hard to pass up. In this world we need people to take a stand and help people around them. That is exactly what I plan to accomplish. Being apart of this program I hope to make a difference whether that difference is big or small.
YASWC – Mimi

Simona Breault-Evans

YASWC – Mimi

I am Mimi Breault-Evans, I am a 14 year old at Tucson High School. My interests include psychology, STEM, coding, reading, and exploring the outdoors. Arizona’s Sonoran Desert provides many opportunities to learn and explore natural sciences.

YASWC – Kallie

Kallie Boring

YASWC – Kallie

Hey! I’m Kallie Boring, age 17, from Sahuarita, Arizona. I love hiking, especially since Madera Canyon is only 20 minutes away, it’s so easy to get to and incredibly gorgeous up there. Biology and ecology are my passions that I not only hope to pursue someday but also am pursuing now through my work with my wonderful science teacher of three years and this past year with ITE. Learning for me is something I never hope ceases. I am a major drama geek, as I find that performing brings my community together and helps tell a story. Leadership has also played a vital role in my life through learning the importance of love for the community. These experiences I have shared make up who I am now and who I strive to be each day as I engage with my community; the people, plants, and animals who all make Sahuarita a special place to be.

YAC – Haven

Haven Beuden

YAC – Haven

I am Haven Beuden, and  I was born in Safford, Arizona. I like drawing, playing video games, and playing my violin or viola. I have 3 siblings, 2 cats, and 1 dog. I hope to make my community a better and healthier place for everyone.

I am part of YAC because it gives me the opportunity to not only voice my concerns but to make needed changes in communities everywhere. I never thought I would get the opportunity to make changes and I really like the ideas YAC has.

CAT – Andrea

Andrea Casas

CAT – Andrea
IMG_3084

Miguel Ceballos

IMG_3084
Matvey

Matvey Cronyn

Matvey
Deshawn Davis

Deshawn Davis

Deshawn Davis
YAC – Sebrana

Sebrana Dowayee

YAC – Sebrana
CAT – Isolde

Isolde Edminster-Genet

CAT – Isolde

My name is Isolde Edminster-Genet, I was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona. My favorite pastimes are drawing, writing, and reading. I am a dancer and a model, I take theater arts in school, and am an aspiring photographer and film director. I love unusual things, especially things that are under-appreciated, such as scary-looking insects and snakes.

I am a part of YAC not only because I care deeply about the well-being of the environment, but also because I love learning about how cultures and communities have/do interact with it. By being a part of YAC I hope to make a positive impact in my community and spread awareness about the imminent threats our environment faces, so that we can all come together and take a step in the right direction for our planet.

CAT – Terra

Terra Gomez

CAT – Terra
IMG_3087

Diego Gray

IMG_3087
YAC – Hako

Hakó Kaplan

YAC – Hako
IMG_3089

Michaela Silva

IMG_3089
Love

Lové Garcia

Love
IMG_1954

Paloma Martinez

IMG_1954

My name is Paloma Martinez, I am from the desert, and was raised in Amado and Tucson AZ. I love all things of the natural environment and enjoy hiking, gardening, connecting, skating & creating.

I am a part of YAC and involved with ITE because I am passionate about taking care of and learning about the environment and people around me. ITE is an awesome little community to be a part of, with people and mentors who also care and know a lot about the environment. I’m not sure exactly what I’d like my future career to be, maybe it doesn’t exist yet, but I know that I love to work with ecosystems, and I’d like to do some work with sustainability and conservation & make the world a healthier & happier place.
Isaiah

Isaiah Haley

Isaiah
Yada

Yada Leal

Yada
Nola

Nola Stockam

Nola
Sam

Sam Love

Sam
Annie

Annie Hanson

Annie
Pino

Arthur Pino

Pino
YAC – Ben

Ben Ge

YAC – Ben
YAC – Claire

Claire Yarrington

YAC – Claire
CAT – Dot

Dot Pallanes

CAT – Dot
YAC – Gabe

Gabe Sampliner

YAC – Gabe
YASWC – Eli

Eli Garcia

YASWC – Eli

My name is Eli and my interests are nature and science. Some of my hobbies include playing the guitar and exploring nature. This connects to Arizona because it has a lot of nature to explore.

YAC – Lydia

Lydia Ge

YAC – Lydia
Will

Will Kleiner

Will
YAC – Izaiah

Izaiah Provencio

YAC – Izaiah
Julia

Julia Ortiz

Julia

My name is Julia Ortiz, and I like being outdoors. I like being out with nature and learning more about my surroundings and the place I live in. Arizona is a great place to live in because it’s the desert, and it’s filled with all sorts of animals and many different places to visit and explore.

Jasper

Jasper Konrad

Jasper
YASWC – Juan Manuel

Juan Manuel Fierros

YASWC – Juan Manuel

Hi, my name is Juan Manuel Fierros. My favorite thing to do is write, and it is connected to my homeland because the current environment that I live in affects the way I write.

YASWC – Jazzy

Jazleen de la Vara

YASWC – Jazzy

I’m Jazleen De La Vara, and I’m currently a freshman at Tucson High School. Having lived in Tucson all my life, I have been fascinated by the information I learn every day. A few of my hobbies are art, music, and any outdoor activity. Downtown Tucson’s art particularly interests me in the different styles and story of art that tells the story of our city in a way other than books and plaques. In addition to art, I also enjoy the outdoors, and because of Arizona’s climate, I have the opportunity to view different ecosystems in different seasons. Being an avid animal lover, I also enjoy herping and learning about Arizona’s vast variety of reptiles, bugs, and mammals.

YASWC – Carlos

Carlos Raygoza

YASWC – Carlos

I am Carlos Raygoza. I am 19 years old and have an interest in nature and ecology. Some of my hobbies include exploring the wilderness and hiking which go hand and hand with Arizona’s diverse ecosystems and landscapes. I hope to learn and experience some of the more unique ecosystems Southern Arizona has to offer.

YASWC – Clarissa

Clarissa Savel

YASWC – Clarissa

My name is Clarissa Savel, I am a senior at University High School and native to Tucson, Arizona. You can catch me trail running in the Tucson Mountains, biking down the Santa Cruz River, or doing ecstatic dance. Spending so much time in the desert has not only enriched my life with its beautiful sunsets but it has taught me gratitude and appreciation for nature. The unworldly excitement felt when dancing in the monsoon rain, knowing that the cacti are sharing in celebration, has made me grateful for nature’s ability to provide for its inhabitants. Running through the desert washes and coming face to face with wildlife has made me foster an appreciation for desert animals. The outdoors have benefited me in all the activities it has to offer but more importantly built a network of people who make Tucson my home.

YAC – Samantha

Samantha Zazueta

YAC – Samantha

My name is Samantha Zazueta. I was born where the sun is always blazing and where the warm sunset leans on the majestic mountains. I was born here in Tucson, Arizona just like my parents and their parents. Tucson is my home. I live in Barrio Hollywood in a house that has been used and built by my great grandfather. I live in a two-story house that is overruled by a pack of chihuahuas and by my mother, stepfather, and my nana. I have an older sister, Monique, and a baby brother Silas. Little by little, I am slowly figuring out my passions; however, I’ve always known that I want to make a positive change in the world whether it’s small or big. I strive to be optimistic and genuinely caring for those around me. I am fond of learning new things, being active, spending time with family and friends, and meeting new people. My aspiration in my life is to get a sense of the world by searching through different angles and being able to find a solution to problems that can be solved.

Why am I a part of YAC? Simple. It’s because it is giving me, a regular person, a chance to make a difference. I hope to gain knowledge and contribute my actions and intentionally show others around me that they can make a difference too. I want to learn an abundance of things. I may not be the smartest person but I want to learn and grasp as much as I can. I want to learn and gain an idea of how I can be a steward to my community and motivate those who need it.

Bianca

Bianca Carnazza

Bianca
Pablo

Pablo Durazo

Pablo
Ethan

Ethan Shooshtari

Ethan
Destiny

Destiny Shosieduran

Destiny