Youth Action Corps

Youth Action Corps

Youth Action Corps Workshop – Tuesday, November 14, 2017  4:30-6PM

The Youth Action Corps (YAC) is a creative youth leadership program for high school and early college aged teens. YAC members work together to support Ironwood Tree Experience by providing a youth voice and leadership for programs and events. YAC members ensure that Ironwood Tree Experience programs are superlative, meet youth’s interests and wellbeing, and provide awesome YAC activities that lift spirits and build skills!

YAC teens embrace their love of nature, people, and community by engaging in unique stewardship activities such as  wildlife conservation and environmental restoration projects, leading environmental educational programs, working in the community for sustainable community development projects, and even applying entrepreneurial skills within the realm of Eco Economics!

High school and college age youth who have participated in an ITE EcoProgram or Community Action program are automatically a YAC member. All YAC members are encouraged to participate in 1 YAC workshop each month at the Ironwood Tree Experience – Urban Field Station where you make new friends, share stories, and become part of YAC committees that are making a difference in the community.

Meet Youth Action Corp Members

Ajang

Ajang Deng

Ajang

I spent the early years of my life in Kenya, coming to the US with my mom and brothers under the refugee program. Settling in Tucson I graduated from Cholla High School and I am now attending Pima Community College.

My experiences with ITE include camping and backpacking and participating the the EcoMonitoring program where I deployed wildlife cameras in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and Saguaro National Park with the NPS Sonoran Desert Network.

I am now currently serving as a youth representative for climate action and I hope to become a physician and help other people in South Sudan and Kenya.

IMG_1955

Samantha Zazueta

IMG_1955
IMG_1954

Paloma Martinez

IMG_1954
IMG_2994 2

Quinn Weltzin

IMG_2994 2
IMG_1960

Haven Beuden

IMG_1960

I am Haven Beuden, and  I was born in Safford, Arizona.  I go to Walden Grove High School and I like drawing, playing video games, and playing my violin or viola. I have 3 siblings, 2 cats and 1 dog. I hope to make my community a better and healthier place for everyone.

I am part of YAC because it gives me the opportunity to not only voice my concerns but to make needed changes in communities everywhere. I never thought I would get the opportunity to make changes and I really like the ideas YAC has.

IMG_1956

Nola Stockam

IMG_1956
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Brittney Stewart

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
IMG_1957

Eliseo Moreno

IMG_1957
IMG_1958

David Cervantes

IMG_1958

I am David Cervantes and I’m a senior at City High School. I have 3 little brothers, a mother, and a step-dad. One of my main interests is entomology, which is the study of insects. One thing that I love is participating in programs and activities that connect me to my community. My biggest hobby/passion currently is beatboxing, I’ve been doing it for almost 2 years and I’m not too open about it but I still love it. I aspire to become a field entomologist and I hope to travel the world to study insects.

I’m mainly doing YAC because I truly believe that if I take the time to simply listen and participate I can make a change. I want to be able to say that I participated in creating something that is helpful. Through ITE I’ve been able to gain experiences that have shaped the person I am so I am hopeful that I will gain more experiences by participating in YAC.

IMG_2995 2

Isolde Edminster-Genet

IMG_2995 2

Youth Action Corps!

• OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

• OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA