Scroll Down to Apply!
A future that restores the health, beauty and diversity of the biosphere and our communities can seem like a distant vision. This June, eight youth interns ages 16 through 20 will join Ironwood Tree Experience and The Wilderness Society on an 11 day expedition to Albuquerque, New Mexico, home of an established Urban to Wild program. Interns will explore and connect to the uplands of the Sandia mountains, the Rio Grande Watershed, and engage with renowned New Mexican leaders and organizations who are addressing climate change, environmental justice, and conservation to ensure that Albuquerque is a healthy, thriving, beautiful and a biologically and culturally diverse community. Through a comparative community lens, Interns will collaborate to envision a restorative and resilient future for Tucson and Southern Arizona culminating in a presentation for the Tucson community.
- Total number of available spots: 8
- Eligibility: youth ages 16 through 20 who have participated in previous Ironwood Tree Experience programs
- Program Fee: Free with completion of scholarship application (see below)
- Application Due Date: Friday, May 27
- Interns will tent camp with access to showers and cooking facilities
- Covid-19 vaccination required. ITE staff will provide information and support for each applicant to meet vaccination requirement. Up to date vaccinations must be complete by June 1, 2022.
|Friday 5/27||Application Due, interviews to follow||See below|
|Wednesday 6/8||Program Orientation Meet & Greet||ITE Urban Field Station|
|Thursday 6/9||Day Trip: Field Excursion||Tucson|
|Monday 6/13||Depart for Expedition||Tucson to Albuquerque|
|Tuesday 6/14||Meeting our TWS Partners and Exploring the Rio Grande||Albuquerque NM|
|Wednesday 6/15||Connecting with Community Gardens||Albuquerque NM|
|Thursday 6/16||Connecting with Community Sustainability Projects||Albuquerque NM|
|Friday 6/17 ||Exploring Albuquerque and Free Time||Albuquerque NM|
|Saturday 6/18||Exploring the Sandia Mountains||Albuquerque NM|
|Sunday 6/19||Urban Wildlife Refuge and Kayaking||Albuquerque NM|
|Monday 6/20||Envisioning workshops||Albuquerque NM|
|Wednesday 6/22||Envisioning workshops and Presentations||Albuquerque NM|
|Thursday 6/23||Return Home||Albuquerque to Tucson|
|Saturday 6/25||Community Presentations and Celebration||Tucson (venue TBD)|