American Experience: ALASKA Summer 2020

American Experience: ALASKA Summer 2020

Next American Experience (AX) workshop!

6PM-7PM – right after the YAC workshop 4-6PM

Thursday, March 12th, 2020

(Scroll to bottom of page to see our participants)

From June 12th through the 25th, ITE youth will trek into the vast and timeless Alaskan landscapes that are the habitat and homes of  an astounding biodiversity and the cultural communities that define “The Last Frontier”. Explore the inspiring beauty and serious challenges confronting the inhabitants of our largest state through the lens of stewardship and climate. With community partners from Arizona and Alaska, youth leaders will actively engage in stewardship projects, environmental education, and exciting adventures. Upon return to the Sonoran Desert, American Experience youth leaders will lead forums and presentations, sharing their insights and first hand Alaska experiences with the Tucson public.

American Experience engages youth in three spheres of stewardship: Sustainable Community Development, Environmental Education, and Conservation & Restoration.

Sustainable Community Development: While in Anchorage ITE Youth will assist Alaska Conservation Corps with trail maintenance and hiker accesss to the third largest state park in the United States, Chugach State Park.

Environmental Education: Explore Denali National Park  with expert staff from Alaska Geographic, National Park Rangers and University of Alaska climate scientists. ITE youth will be exposed to a vast and rapidly changing ecology ranging from the tallest peak in North America, to tundra and forests and the gravely glacier fed streams that support caribou, moose, wolves, grizzly bears and arctic grayling.

Conservation & Restoration: ITE youth will work with local youth on wetland and marine systems that provide sustainance for native people and critical habitat for diverse species.

Click AX3 Prep & Packing list for Trip Packing list

DAYDATELOCATIONACTIVITY
Fri6/12/2020Tucson- AnchorageTravel
Sat6/13/2020Anchorage to Denali NPTravel
Sun6/14/2020Denali NPPark and Partner Intro
Mon6/15/2020Denali NPClimate Change Science
Tue6/16/2020Denali NPClimate Change Science
Wed6/17/2020Denali NPExploration
Thu6/18/2020Denali NP to AnchorageTravel
Fri6/19/2020AnchorageCultural Community Building
Sat6/20/2020AnchorageCultural Community Building
Sun6/21/2020AnchorageCultural Community Building
Mon6/22/2020AnchorageCultural Community Building
Tue6/23/2020AnchorageCultural Community Building
Wed6/24/2020AnchorageFree day/ presenation prep
Thu6/25/2020Anchorage to TucsonTravel
TBDTBDTBAPublic presentations

AX3 Jan 23 info slides

AX3 Feb 20 info slides

Scholarship Application

Application: ITE Scholarship

If you are interested in becoming eligible for ITE or partner scholarships you must complete this application.
  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY
    Applicant must be at least 12 years of age or older at time of Program start date.
  • Essay Questions. Please provide thoughtful and thorough answers. Spelling and correct grammar reflects intention so please edit your work before submitting.

• Personal Reference

In the spaces below, please provide us with one personal reference who we can contact and who can speak to your character and performance. This person must be an adult who is not related to you.
  • First and last name of your personal reference
  • Briefly tell us your relationship to your personal reference
  • Agreement

American Experience Participant Stewards!

Diego

Diego Gray

Diego
Isaiah

Isaiah Haley

Isaiah
Love

Lové Garcia

Love
Matvey

Matvey Cronyn

Matvey
Nola

Nola Stockam

Nola
Pino

Arthur Pino

Pino
Sam

Sam Love

Sam
Yada

Yada Leal

Yada
Madison

Madison Birchard

Madison
CAT – Dot

Dot Pallanes

CAT – Dot

“Growing up in Tucson, I’ve always been surrounded by the purple mountain ranges and jade green ecosystems. I was taught from a young age by my people how to respect the earth, how to live around it, and how to not overuse the land. My interest in nature and culture goes deep into my people’s history. We are told stories of our ancestors; we descend from these wise insects that roamed the land and only took what they needed. We practice these same rituals today to protect our earth. I am interested in going to Alaska because I want to gain a deeper understanding of the indigenous people that live there and how climate change is affecting them. In such a different ecosystem than Tucson, you can only dream about all the new animals and biodiversity there. Also, how the indigenous people have used that land and protected it for so long.”